Dem seeks to block funding for cyber effort with Russia

Source: The Hill | July 10, 2017 | Joe Uchill

Two Democratic lawmakers in the House have introduced amendments to the National Defense Authorization Act hammering President Trump’s posture toward Russia. 

Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.) introduced an amendment blocking funding to any new joint cybersecurity effort with Russia, such as the one the president is said to have agreed to with Russian President Vladimir Putin. 

Officials from both the United States and Russia in the room when Trump and Putin met Friday both said that leaders agreed to some form of bilateral cybersecurity unit. 

Trump tweeted early Sunday morning that “Putin & I discussed forming an impenetrable Cyber Security unit so that election hacking, & many other negative things, will be guarded.”

Thirteen hours later, he appeared to reverse course in another tweet, “The fact that President Putin and I discussed a Cyber Security unit doesn’t mean I think it can happen.”

Rep. Rueben Gallego (D-Ariz.) offered a late amendment in a similar vein, prohibiting cybersecurity related information sharing with Russia without congressional approval. 

Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.), meanwhile, introduced an amendment stating that it is the “sense of Congress that [Trump] … undermin[es] the conclusions of the intelligence community and his own cabinet members … [and] United States credibility, hinders deterrence and challenges United States standing with key allies” by not acknowledging that Russia interfered in the 2016 election.

……

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.