Democratic senator criticizes World Series crowd booing Trump: 'The office of the president deserves respect'

Source: The Hill | October 28, 2019 | Rebecca Klar

Sen. Christopher Coons (D-Del.) on Monday criticized the crowd at Game 5 of the World Series, played Sunday in Washington, for booing President Trump and chanting “lock him up.”

“Well, forgive me, I’m enough of a sort of traditionalist about our institutions that even at a time when there is a lot that our president does that I find disturbing, offensive, unconventional, I have a hard time with the idea of a crowd on a globally televised sporting event chanting ‘lock him up’ about our president,” Coons said in an appearance on CNN’s “New Day.” “I frankly think the office of the president deserves respect, even when the actions of our president don’t,” Coons added.

The boos and chants came as Trump appeared on the scoreboard at Nationals Park.

He was sitting with a handful of congressional Republicans.

……..

Coons said he hopes the “lock him up” chants don’t continue at Democratic rallies or at the party’s convention. 

“I think that’s one of the most regrettable, even at times despicable, actions by candidate Trump when he was running for president in 2016,” Coons said, of the chants.

“It reminds me of things that happen in countries where rule of law is unknown or unestablished and sort of whipping up public furor on both sides I don’t think is constructive or helpful.” 

Although Coons said he didn’t support the chants and boos, he said he understands why “crowds in Washington would feel a lot of animus toward our president,” given Trump’s actions. 

“Frankly, that’s why I think those of us in the Senate need to approach the impeachment process seriously, in a measured and responsible way, because our very institutions, our Constitution, is at risk,” Coons said. 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #32995

ConservativeGranny #32997

Respect is earned. Trump has done nothing to earn any respect. Let the people’s voices be heard. God knows there is little of that.

Consistent #33000

Consistent #33002

EVERYDAY #33013

I have no problem with booing this president. He deserves it. But other sources said the boos were for Trump and his wife. There were others making a stink over why Barron wasn’t at the game — not that they were concerned about him, but that they wanted to ridicule him too. That I would object to. It was different when Michelle Obama was First Lady — with her school lunch program starving the kids, for example. But to me, First Ladies and families should be off limits.

Melania and Barron have done nothing to deserve ridicule and they should be left alone.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.