Democrats speed toward Trump's impeachment

Source: Politico | January 8, 2021 | Kyle Cheney, Sarah Ferris and Heather Caygle

Outrage is widespread among House leaders after Trump encouraged the mob who breached the Captiol.

House Democrats are moving quickly toward impeaching President Donald Trump as early next week, a reflection of the seething outrage that remains over his incitement of deadly riots inside the U.S. Capitol.

Timing remains in flux and Speaker Nancy Pelosi has yet to make a decision on exactly how to proceed, including whether to pursue a constitutional process that could remove Trump without impeachment. Top Democrats are still in talks with all their members and will hold a caucus-wide call at noon. But they are expected to decide today on their next steps, according to several lawmakers and aides.

Even if the House does impeach Trump, it’s far from clear the GOP-controlled Senate would act before his presidency runs out in 12 days.

House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn told POLITICO on Friday that articles of impeachment could be drafted imminently.

“I believe we should have our articles of impeachment prepared over the weekend. Judiciary ought to be ready to file them on Monday and we ought to be ready to vote for them as soon as they’re ready to put it on the floor,” the South Carolina Democrat said.

Asked if he thought there would be a critical mass of members to support fast-tracking it, Clyburn. ”Oh I think so and I think it’ll be bipartisan.”

Rep. Katherine Clark, the assistant House speaker, also predicted Friday that the full chamber could vote by the middle of next week. Other Democrats said it could happen sooner.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #46172

Consistent #46173

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.