Dems secure testimony from ‘reluctant’ Mueller

Source: Politico | June 25, 2019 | Andrew Desiderio and Heather Caygle

The former special counsel’s much-awaited public testimony before Congress is slated for July 17.

Former special counsel Robert Mueller will testify in public before the House Intelligence and Judiciary Committees on July 17, both panels announced late Tuesday, in what is expected to be a high-stakes hearing centering on President Donald Trump’s efforts to interfere with Mueller’s investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) and Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) served Mueller with a subpoena late Tuesday night after the Democrat-led panels and the former special counsel failed to agree on terms for voluntary public testimony.

Mueller’s appearance could be a defining moment for Trump, who will be forced to watch as the man whose investigation tormented his inner circle for two years recounts the president’s attempts to thwart the investigation, which Trump has long derided as a “witch hunt.”

The hearing is also likely to give Democrats even more political ammunition against Trump, a president whom they have accused of obstructing justice and stonewalling their myriad investigations.

“The Mueller report revealed that the Russians waged a ‘sweeping and systematic’ attack on our elections, and America’s top intelligence and law enforcement officials have warned that the Russians will attack our elections again,” Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said in a statement. “Yet, sadly the president calls it a hoax, and suggests that he would welcome Russian interference again.”

“Americans have demanded to hear directly from the special counsel so they can understand what he and his team examined, uncovered, and determined about Russia’s attack on our democracy, the Trump campaign’s acceptance and use of that help, and President Trump and his associates’ obstruction of the investigation into that attack,” Nadler and Schiff said in a joint statement.

Schiff told reporters that Mueller was “very reluctant to come in” for public testimony, adding: “He has agreed to honor the subpoena. And the testimony before the Intel Committee will give each of the members the opportunity to ask their questions.”

Schiff also said Mueller’s testimony will be divided into two separate hearings, one with each committee. He also said members of Mueller’s team would also participate in a closed-door executive session with lawmakers.

………..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Discussion
  •  Consistent #30258

Consistent #30259

Consistent #30260

Consistent #30261

Consistent #30262

Consistent #30263

Consistent #30268

Consistent #30269

ConservativeGranny #30274

I’m not getting my hopes up. I don’t understand why Mueller is so “reluctant” to testify. Is it because he is friends with the AG? A Republican? I don’t know. I just don’t trust anyone anymore. Just the fact that they had to subpoena him makes me squirm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.