DeSantis: he won’t get involved wth Trump’s potl indictment ‘in any way’

Source: Politico | March 20, 2023 | Gary Fineout

DeSantis says he won’t get involved with Trump’s potential indictment ‘in any way’

Under Florida law, the governor can intervene in an extradition matter if it is contested.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday told reporters he won’t get involved in Donald Trump’s potential extradition if the former president is indicted by the Manhattan district attorney.

In his first comments on Trump’s likely indictment, DeSantis said he only knew about “rumors” of a pending arrest of Trump related to an investigation into payments made to adult film actress Stormy Daniels during the 2016 presidential election cycle.

“I have no interest in getting involved in some type of manufactured circus by some Soros DA,” said DeSantis, making a reference to billionaire donor George Soros’s support of Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg. “He’s trying to do a political spectacle … I’ve got real issues I’ve got to deal with here in the state of Florida.”

“We’re not getting involved in it in any way,” he said.

Under Florida law, the governor can intervene in an extradition matter if it is contested. But Trump’s lawyers have told media outlets that the president would likely surrender if he is indeed indicted.

Trump announced on Saturday that he could be arrested as soon as Tuesday and called on supporters to protest the decision.

Over the last two days, Trump allies have repeatedly zinged DeSantis for failing to jump to Trump’s defense like other supporters of the president, including House Speaker Kevin McCarthy. They have urged him to use his power as governor since Trump is a Florida resident.

After DeSantis’ Monday news conference, Trump posted a broadside against DeSantis, writing on Truth Social that “Ron DeSanctimonious will probably find out about FALSE ACCUSATIONS & FAKE STORIES sometime in the future, as he gets older, wiser, and better known.” His son, Donald Trump. Jr., also attacked DeSantis on Twitter after his press conference, calling the governor’s response “pure weakness.”

“Now we know why he was silent all weekend,” Trump Jr. stated.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #57602

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.