'Disaster in the making': Republicans torch Trump's Syria policy

Source: Politico | October 7, 2019 | Quint Forgey and David Cohen

Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio and Nikki Haley denounced the decision to allow Turkey to fight U.S.-allied Kurds.

Several prominent Republicans admonished the White House on Monday for its controversial decision to allow Turkey to invade northern Syria and potentially wipe out U.S.-allied Kurdish fighters — with Sen. Lindsey Graham criticizing the maneuver as “a disaster in the making” in a rare public break with President Donald Trump.

“I don’t know all the details regarding President Trump’s decision in northern Syria,” the South Carolina Republican wrote on Twitter, adding that he was in the process of scheduling a phone call with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and warning: “If press reports are accurate this is a disaster in the making.”

Graham, a vocal defender of the president and frequent adviser on matters of foreign policy, predicted the administration’s move would ensure a “comeback” of ISIS, force the Kurds to align themselves with Syrian President Bashar Assad and Iran, damage the relationship between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government and Congress, and become “a stain on America’s honor for abandoning the Kurds.”

He also threatened to introduce a Senate resolution opposing Trump’s decision, and accused the White House of being dishonest about the nature of the ISIS threat during an interview on the president’s favorite morning cable news show.

“The biggest lie being told by the administration [is] that ISIS is defeated,” Graham told the hosts of “Fox & Friends.”

“This impulsive decision by the president has undone all the gains we’ve made, thrown the region into further chaos,” he said, adding: “I hope I’m making myself clear how shortsighted and irresponsible this decision is in my view.”

Sen. Marco Rubio, another hawkish lawmaker respected within the GOP for his foreign policy outlook, also condemned the White House’s action and cautioned that it would encourage Iran amid escalating tensions between the U.S. and the Islamic Republic.

…….

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #32169

Consistent #32170

Consistent #32171

Consistent #32172

Consistent #32173

Consistent #32174

Consistent #32175

Consistent #32176

Consistent #32177

Consistent #32178

Consistent #32180

Consistent #32181

Consistent #32182

Consistent #32183

Consistent #32184

Consistent #32185

Consistent #32186

Consistent #32187

Consistent #32197

Consistent #32198

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.