Dolly Parton declines proposed statue of her in Tennessee capitol

Source: The Hill | February 18, 2021 | Judy Kurtz

Dolly Parton is asking Tennessee lawmakers to abandon plans to add a statue of her to the state’s capitol grounds, saying the timing isn’t “appropriate.”

State Rep. John Mark Windle (D) had introduced a bill last month calling for the creation of a fund to design and erect a Nashville statue of the legendary country music singer and songwriter. The proposed statue was meant to recognize Parton’s contributions to her home state, according to the legislation.

More than 25,000 people signed a petition last year to replace statues of Confederate leaders in Tennessee with one of her.

But on Thursday, Parton wrote on Twitter that while she is “honored and humbled” by the move, she “asked the leaders of the state legislature to remove the bill from any and all consideration.”

“Given all that is going on in the world, I don’t think putting me on a pedestal is appropriate at this time,” the 75-year-old “9 to 5” singer wrote in a statement.

“I hope, though, that somewhere down the road several years from now or perhaps after I’m gone if you still feel I deserve it, then I’m certain I will stand proud in our great State Capitol as a grateful Tennessean,” Parton said.

“In the meantime, I’ll continue to try to do good work to make this great state proud,” she wrote.

……..

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.