Don Jr. dismisses coronavirus deaths: ‘The number is almost nothing’

Source: Politico | October 30, 2020 | Quint Forgey

Roughly 1,000 Americans died from Covid-19 on the day the president’s son appeared on Fox News to downplay the U.S. death toll.

Donald Trump Jr., the president’s eldest son, falsely claimed on Thursday that the number of Americans dying from the coronavirus amounts to “almost nothing.”

More than 8.9 million people in the United States have been infected with Covid-19, according to the latest data from Johns Hopkins University, resulting in more than 228,000 deaths. The U.S. tallied a single-day record of more than 83,000 coronavirus cases last Friday and reported a new daily peak of more than 88,000 cases on Thursday. Deaths, an indicator that typically lags behind the number of cases, have also been on the rise.

Deaths have indeed declined relative to last spring, in part because doctors have learned to manage the disease better and because of drugs that have proven to be helpful in combating it. Nursing homes, where thousands of Americans have died from the coronavirus, have also done a better job in slowing infection, although they face challenges protecting their highly vulnerable residents as Covid-19 continues to spread across the country.

But the deaths are not “almost nothing” — and they are rising. Roughly 1,000 Americans died from the disease on Thursday, as Trump Jr. appeared on Fox News host Laura Ingraham’s show to downplay the U.S. death toll. And among those who survive coronavirus, many have long-term damage to vital organs and lingering chronic symptoms.

“The reality is this: If you look, I put it up on my Instagram a couple days ago, because I went through the CDC data, because I kept hearing about new infections,” Trump Jr. said. “But I was like, ‘Well, why aren’t they talking about deaths?’ Oh, oh, because the number is almost nothing,” he continued. “Because we’ve gotten control of this and we understand how it works.”

Those remarks resemble other misleading or outright untrue rhetoric put forth in recent days by President Donald Trump, who has been increasingly dismissive of the pandemic’s threat ahead of Election Day. “More Testing equals more Cases. We have best testing. Deaths WAY DOWN,” he tweeted on Friday morning.

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #44058

Consistent #44060

Consistent #44064

EVERYDAY #44067

People, take a look at Junior in that video. Rumor has it he’s ingesting some serious narcotics and if you look at him in this video and other photos on the internet, he does look quite glassy eyed.

I suppose Junior was given some talking points to memorize before the interview since what he says goes along with Dad’s constant refrain that the virus is over, it’s no big deal, we’re rounding the corner, etc. etc.

228,000 deaths are nothing? Tell that to the people who lost loved ones to this disease.

Consistent #44078

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.