Don’t Go Anywhere Dads, We Need You

Source: Conservative Review | June 19, 2016 | Nicole Russell

….

Fatherhood today

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 1 in 3 kids lives without their biological father. In 2011, Pew reported 27% of dads lived separate from their kids. The consequences of absent fathers are devastating for children–increased chances of poverty, drug and alcohol abuse, and poor physical and emotional health.

However, it’s not all bad news. The same Pew report above found “almost all fathers who live with their children take an active role in their day-to-day lives through activities such as sharing meals, helping with homework, and playing” and they went from spending 2.6 hours a week with their children, in the 1960’s, to 6.5 per week now. (My dad spent well over that amount with my brother and me as do my children’s dad and many other fathers I know.)

Statistics show–and thankfully the media are reflecting–that dads are hearkening back to their ancestors’ ways of parenting. There isn’t a dad I know who doesn’t want to spend more time with his children and tries to make it happen. Many post-industrialized-era inventions are making this possible, especially if dads utilize them well (thank you, internet).

….

Fathers of tomorrow

As history shows, dads have always been a bedrock of our society and with a little innovation, elbow grease and willpower, they can be again. In the meantime, the rest of us must encourage and affirm the work of fatherhood, for there is nothing like it and little that moulds a child’s soul more than the gentle but firm guidance of a father’s heart.

This Father’s Day: To the dads defending our freedom and who are in harm’s way–who missed that newborn cry–we salute your courage. To the dads who work night shifts, part-time gigs, 4 am-8 pm shifts just to make ends meet, and don’t always get to say bedtime prayers, we salute your work ethic. To the dads who don’t get to see their kids as often as they should or would like to, due to divorce, separation, or other relational messiness, we whisper tender mercies. To the dads who took in babies who weren’t their own or want to be dads but still aren’t–we admire your grace. To the dads who had to bury their children, from baby to young adult, no one should have to do that, we offer condolences.

To the dads who don’t get enough credit, who try their hardest every day to do one of the hardest jobs around: We appreciate you and we need you; don’t go anywhere.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.