Don’t Let Them Lie to You Again

Source: Conservative Review | May 25, 2016 | Steve Deace

Let’s do the time warp again.

GOP nominates the old, white liberal in the primary with the highest name I.D. (handpicked by Fox News, of course). Said candidate then proceeds to run on no issues other than “Don’t those dastardly Democrats just suck?” Conservative base is lukewarm-to-hostile to said nominee as well, and said nominee doesn’t help his cause by passing on opportunities to capitalize on issues that excite conservatives. Meanwhile, Team GOP punditry lines up to tell us not to pay attention to that man behind the curtain, and instead let them cherry pick polls to assure us that this time it will be different than all the others. Because, unity.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before.

This is who the Republican Party is, and always has been. It is not the party of Reagan. It is the party that tolerated Reagan when it had to, and then proceeded to dismantle his legacy while also cynically capitalizing on it from the moment he left the national stage. 

Since Eisenhower, the GOP always produces this result, with two glaring exceptions (Goldwater and Reagan). It’s only the packaging that changes.

….

Case in point: The new company line is Hillary is damaged (and she is) and unlikable (and she is), so Trump is gonna win (no he’s not). The “evidence” for this echo chamber appears to be current polling. Except there’s just one problem with that.

Trump is still losing in that polling.

….

However, despite Hillary’s current struggles, the best Trump can muster is a statistical tie in the current Real Clear Politics polling average. And he only has that because of the six general election polls published so far this year that had Trump ahead, four of them were published by Fox and Rasmussen—two polling firms that have a history of producing favorable results for Republicans. In the other 30 head-to-head non-Fox/Rasmussen polls so far this year, Trump has led in just three of them.

….

Over and over again Trump did not bring new voters to the GOP. Just voters who weren’t accustomed to voting in primaries, but have always been reliable general election voters. And he didn’t always bring out all those voters to support him, either. When this primary officially ends on June 7, Trump will have received the most non-votes in GOP history as well.

I know this isn’t the news many of you want to hear. I hate losing, too. Which is why I did everything I could to back a candidate that wasn’t exactly like all the other losers this party typically nominates.

Sadly, though, they nominated the same kind of loser again. It’s the insanity party—doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting a different result each time. So you have about five more months of being told how Hillary Clinton is the scummiest pond scum that’s ever scummed, because this party isn’t fond of offering voters something to actually vote for.

It won’t work, just like it never works, because voters only vote Republican on issues, not personalities. And Trump has refused to run on any issues other than personality (name-calling, scandals, etc.). He’s moved left on all his signature issues already, and ignores issues like tranny bathrooms and religious liberty that would actually excite voters. Just as Romney ignored Chick-fil-A, McCain ignored the roots of Obama’s worldview, etc.

The Republican Party has never met a brick wall it doesn’t like running into headfirst. You might as well gird your loins for conservatives being blamed for all this again come post-election. It’s just their way.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.