Drudge floats the implausible: A Bloomberg-Clinton ticket

Source: Politico | February 15, 2020 | Evan Semones

Michael Bloomberg’s campaign downplayed the report.

Matt Drudge, the famous news aggregator and internet provocateur, shattered the lull of an otherwise calm Saturday morning with a big-if-true bombshell: “EXCLUSIVE: BLOOMBERG CONSIDERS HILLARY RUNNING MATE.”

“Sources close to Bloomberg campaign tell DRUDGE REPORT that candidate is considering Hillary as running mate, after their polling found the Bloomberg-Clinton combination would be a formidable force…,” the tweet continued, pointing to Drudge’s eponymous website, where the scoop was played in underlined type above the scroll and a bright-red all-caps headline.

Drudge, of course, has a long and complicated history with Clinton-related news, having broken the Monica Lewinsky affair with Bill in 1998 and then given surprisingly favorable treatment to Hillary’s 2008 campaign.

As outlets from CNBC to the New York Post to the U.K.‘s Daily Mail played up Saturday’s story, Bloomberg’s campaign downplayed the report, but didn’t deny it.

“We are focused on the primary and the debate, not VP speculation,’ Jason Schechter, the campaign’s communications director, said in a statement.

Drudge also reported that the billionaire was looking to change his residency from New York, where Clinton also resides, to “homes he owns” in Colorado or Florida. Although subject to interpretation, the Constitution’s 12th Amendment states that presidential and vice presidential candidates shall not be an inhabitant of the same state.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #35724

Consistent #35725

EVERYDAY #35728

Although I think I read somewhere that Clinton would take the no, 2 position, I don’t think that’s really true. She still wants to be president, although that looks less and less likely unless she became a more radical leftist, which is where her party is headed. Actually, being VP and campaigning for the job would be a lot less taxing on her health; she’s just not strong and healthy enough to run for and be president.

No, I think this is just a rumor being floated around to maybe gin up Bloomberg’s campaign. There is a conspiracy theory going around that Bloomberg entered the race to be a placeholder for Hillary . Don’t know if I believe that one either, although it might be more plausible than Hillary running for VP with Bloomberg.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.