Elon Musk reinstates Trump’s Twitter

Source: The Hill | November 19, 2022 | Julia Shapero

Twitter CEO Elon Musk reinstated former President Trump’s Twitter on Saturday evening, shortly after Musk announced he would restore the account.

The move ended a ban that started nearly two years ago in the wake of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.

Musk made the decision following a Twitter poll on Friday in which a narrow majority voted in favor of reinstating the former president’s account.

“The people have spoken. Trump will be reinstated. Vox Populi, Vox Dei,” Musk said in a tweet, quoting the Latin phrase meaning “The voice of the people is the voice of God.”

It remains to be seen whether the former president will return to the social media platform. After Trump was banned from Twitter, he created his own platform, Truth Social.

While Trump welcomed Musk’s takeover of Twitter three weeks ago, he initially said he plans to stay on Truth Social.

“I am staying on Truth,” the former president said. “I like it better. I like the way it works. I like Elon, but I’m staying on Truth.”

Ending the ban is only the latest news to come from Musk’s chaotic transition at Twitter following his $44 billion acquisition of the company in late October. 

Hundreds of employees quit on Thursday after the billionaire issued an ultimatum — either commit to a “hardcore” work environment or leave. The New York Times reported on Friday that internal estimates showed at least 1,200 employees had resigned. That came after Musk laid off about half of the company’s 7,500-person workforce in his first week.

……..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #56650

Consistent #56651

Consistent #56652

Consistent #56653

Consistent #56654

Consistent #56656

Consistent #56658

EVERYDAY #56659

As far as I can tell, Trump hasn’t tweeted anything new yet. Hard to say since there are a couple of “official” Trump accounts plus a few that are likely fake. The last tweet on an “official” Trump account is from right after 1/6. I have heard that at least one, maybe more of his tweets around 1/6 has been scrubbed, but I don’t know if it’s true. I do think, however, that the 1/6 Committee has screen captures of his tweets at that time. As someone said, the internet is forever. You can try to delete something, but it still exists somewhere.

Consistent #56660

Consistent #56661

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.