Exclusive: Trump held off on Xinjiang sanctions for China trade deal

Source: Axios | June 21, 2020 | Jonathan Swan

In an Oval Office interview on Friday afternoon, President Trump told me that he held off on imposing Treasury sanctions against Chinese officials involved with the Xinjiang mass detention camps because doing so would have interfered with his trade deal with Beijing.

Driving the news: Asked why he hadn’t yet enacted Treasury sanctions against Chinese Communist Party officials or entities tied to the camps where the Chinese government detains Uighurs and other Muslim minorities, Trump replied, “Well, we were in the middle of a major trade deal.”

– “And I made a great deal, $250 billion potentially worth of purchases. And by the way, they’re buying a lot, you probably have seen.”

– Trump continued: “And when you’re in the middle of a negotiation and then all of a sudden you start throwing additional sanctions on — we’ve done a lot. I put tariffs on China, which are far worse than any sanction you can think of.”

The big picture: China hawks in the Trump administration have privately expressed frustration that the president hasn’t used the Global Magnitsky Act to sanction Chinese officials for what many consider one of the worst human rights atrocities of this era.

– Trump countered that he signed the Uyghur Human Rights Policy Act of 2020 on Wednesday.

Between the lines: But that new law is Congress’ attempt to pressure Trump to enact sanctions. Trump already had all the authority he needed to sanction China for the camps. Congress passed the Global Magnitsky Act in 2016 — a law designed to counter human rights violations like those being committed in Xinjiang, where witnesses say the Chinese government imprisons, brainwashes, and tortures ethnic and religious minorities.

– China hawks in Congress, such as Republican Sen. Marco Rubio, have repeatedly urged the Trump administration to sanction Chinese officials connected to the Xinjiang mass detention camps.

But in Friday’s interview with Axios, Trump said: “When you say the Magnitsky Act, just so you know, nobody’s mentioned it specifically to me with regard to China.”

– “If somebody asked me, I would take a look at it,” he continued. “But nobody’s asked me. I have not been spoken to about the Magnitsky Act. So if somebody asks me about it, I’d study it. But at this moment, they have not asked me about it.”

– In his book, John Bolton writes that Trump gave President Xi a green light to continue with the Xinjiang camps — an allegation Trump denies.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #40391

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.