Fauci issues dire warning about Thanksgiving

Source: The Hill | October 15, 2020 | Alexandra Kelley

Public health experts warn that small gatherings are key components in virus upticks.

As the seasons change, the COVID-19 pandemic remains constant. With summer weather coming to an end and activities picking up indoors, public health experts are concerned virus transmission will increase with people in closer proximity in circulated air environments.

To help combat the potentially cataclysmic dual outbreaks of COVID-19 and influenza, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have already advised against traditional Halloween trick-or-treating to reduce contact.

Anthony Fauci, the leading infectious disease expert in the U.S. and head of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases, agrees. Acknowledging the beloved holiday is an American tradition, Fauci told CBS that Americans should limit their guest list this holiday season. 

Failure to appropriately mitigate the risk of a COVID-19 infection could lead to Thanksgiving festivities becoming superspreader events.

“That’s really an unfortunate fact that is going to cause obviously some concern about everyone who looks forward to the holidays and interacting with family members that they haven’t seen in a while. That is, unfortunately, a risk,” Fauci said. 

The primary problems will be the setting of these small to mid-sized gatherings; people from out-of-town gathering in an indoor setting with circulated air could easily become a hotbed for virus transmission, especially if people take public transportation like planes.

Fauci gave a personal example, saying that his children, who live in multiple different states, will not be returning home for the holiday, out of concern for their father and his age. 

Older individuals, along with people with preexisting health conditions, stand at an increased likelihood for severe COVID-19 infections. 

For those who will still host gatherings, Fauci’s advice is to screen guests carefully. 

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #43738

EVERYDAY #43740

My brother and SIL host family dinners for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Easter dinner was canceled and I said to my SIL something like, well, we’ll see each other for Thanksgiving. I was sure this pandemic would be over long before then.

Guess not.

If we had leadership that would have acted quickly even late last year or in January and if we didn’t have stupid, selfish people who won’t follow CDC guidelines because they “infringe on their rights,” we would be able to resume normal activities, including family get-togethers.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.