Fauci says he and Birx had 'bad cop,' 'good cop' roles on Trump coronavirus task force

Source: The Hill | March 28, 2021 | Justine Coleman

Top infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci said in an interview that aired on Sunday he and former White House coronavirus coordinator Deborah Birx took on “bad cop” and “good cop” roles, respectively, within former President Trump’s COVID-19 task force.

CNN’s Sanjay Gupta asked Fauci in a CNN Special Report whether he and Birx had “a strategy” to respond to the coronavirus pandemic, asking if one of them was the “good cop,” while the other was the “bad cop.” 

“I was the bad cop,” Fauci responded. “She was the good cop.”

“They referred to me as I often say as the skunk at the picnic because whenever they would say things were great, I would say … I don’t really think so,” Fauci continued. 

But the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) acknowledged that it was “easy for me to say that out loud” because of his support at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Fauci said Birx “had a much more difficult situation.”

“She had an office right there in the west wing,” Fauci said. “So I am very, very reluctant to condemn anything that – even though there are people who feel that she should have pushed more, she probably should have.”

“But boy, she did a lot of good,” he added. “She knocked herself out getting up at 3 o’clock in the morning putting that data together presenting it every day.”

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #48172

EVERYDAY #48174

Dr. Fauci makes a good point. There was little Trump could do to him, but he could do a lot more damage to Dr. Birx. As it is, I suspect Trump may have been behind the threats from his cult against Dr. Fauci and his family. But he could not directly fire Dr. Fauci. Dr. Birx on the other hand could be subjected to termination and terroristic threats. Working with Trump or in his administration was not just a toxic workplace environment. it could even be deadly. And a person subjected to this environment really didn’t know who to trust if he/she wanted to complain.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.