Federal prosecutors who are looking into the origins of the government’s Russia probe have interviewed about two dozen people, suggesting that the inquiry is further along than previously known, The New York Times reported Saturday.
The prosecutors have asked witnesses about whether former FBI officials that have been frequent targets of President Trump hold anti-Trump bias, former officials and others familiar with the review told the Times.
U.S. Attorney John Durham, who is leading the investigation, has not interviewed all of the FBI officials who were instrumental in opening the Russia probe in 2016, sources told the newspaper.
Durham has reportedly not spoken with former FBI counterintelligence official Peter Strzok, former FBI Director James Comey, former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe or former FBI General Counsel James Baker.
According to the Times, the moves suggest Durham may still be gathering facts before speaking with those key players.
Former CIA Director John Brennan told NBC News that Durham has expressed plans to question current and former intelligence officials including Brennan himself and former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper.
The news outlet also reported, citing three former CIA officials, that the prosecutor is asking to speak with CIA analysts who were involved with Russia-related assessments and that some of the analysts have hired attorneys.
Attorney General William Barr, who is overseeing the review, has said he wants to learn whether the collection of intelligence on the Trump campaign had a sufficient basis.
Critics view the Justice Department investigation as an effort by the Trump administration to undermine the intelligence community’s findings on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.