Feds recommend pausing J&J vaccine over blood clotting concerns

Source: Politico | April 13, 2021 | Lauren Morello

All those affected were women between the ages of 18 and 48, and their symptoms developed 6-13 days after vaccination.

Federal health agencies on Tuesday recommended an immediate pause in the use of Johnson & Johnson’s coronavirus vaccine after six people developed a rare and severe type of blood clot after receiving the shot.

All those affected were women between the ages of 18 and 48, and their symptoms developed 6-13 days after vaccination, the Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a joint statement.

Johnson & Johnson later Tuesday said it would delay the rollout of its shot in Europe while safety data is reviewed.

More than 6.8 million doses of the single-shot vaccine had been administered in the United States as of Monday, the agencies said. “This announcement will not have a significant impact on our vaccination plan: Johnson & Johnson vaccine makes up less than 5 percent of the recorded shots in arms in the United States to date,” White House Covid-19 response coordinator Jeff Zients said in a statement.

CDC’s vaccine advisory committee will meet Wednesday to review the blood clotting incidents. The FDA, which is set to hold a press conference Tuesday morning, will review the CDC analysis and conduct its own investigation.

“Until that process is complete, we are recommending a pause in the use of this vaccine out of an abundance of caution,” the FDA’s top vaccine regulator, Peter Marks, and CDC Principal Deputy Director Anne Schuchat said a joint statement.

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #48384

Consistent #48385

Consistent #48386

Consistent #48389

EVERYDAY #48395

I can hear my brother now. “See? I told you these vaccines aren’t safe.”

Most people have taken the J&J without major problems. But even if the vaccine has been to be pulled permanently or indefinitely, we still have the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, which apparently do not have this blood clot problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.