Fellow NBA player fires back at LeBron James over China comments: 'Freedom is not free'

Source: The Hill | October 15, 2019 | Marty Johnson

Boston Celtics center Enes Kanter on Tuesday hit back at NBA star LeBron James for his critical comments about the Houston Rockets general manager whose tweet about Hong Kong protesters caused an uproar in China.

James waded into the controversy Monday when he was asked if he thought Daryl Morey should be disciplined for his tweet supporting pro-democracy Hong Kong protests.

……..

Kanter, who is Turkish and a longtime critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, responded to James’s initial comments with a series of tweets on Tuesday.

“Wow dude!” Kanter wrote before listing what he said were repercussions for speaking out publicly against Erdoğan.

“FREEDOM IS NOT FREE,” Kanter added.

In an op-ed in the Boston Globe Tuesday, Kanter wrote: “I have a prominent platform and I want to use it to promote respect for human rights, democracy, and personal freedom. For me, this is bigger than basketball.”

“I would languish in prison if I were in Turkey,” he added. “Being apart from my family and friends has taken an enormous toll on me. But nothing good comes easy.”

…….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.