Flying car could be weeks away from takeoff

Source: The Hill | July 28, 2022 | Amanda Arden and Nexstar Media Wire

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – The Switchblade, an aircraft that doubles as a car, could be just weeks away from getting its wheels off the ground after a Federal Aviation Administration inspection on July 15 determined it’s safe to fly.

The project has been 14 years in the making, and Sam Bousfield, CEO of Samson Sky and inventor of the Switchblade, said he’s “stoked” to reach this milestone. After passing the FAA inspection, his team wasted no time in beginning the high-speed taxi test. They were out on the taxiway the next day.

“[The crew] took off their ‘I’m doing R&D’ and they put on their ‘I am flight test’ crew hat, and I think that really set the tone for everything after,” Bousfield said. “So, we’re in a different game now.”

The high-speed taxi test was the first step. The next is flight. Bousfield said the Switchblade’s rubber could leave the road within the next few weeks, as soon as it’s ready to fly.

……..

Just like a pocket knife, the Switchblade’s wings slip smoothly into the body of the vehicle with the touch of a button, allowing it to seamlessly transition from sky to air. Its tail also unfurls or retracts, depending on if it’s being used to fly or drive.

……..

The Switchblade can hold two people, fly at 160 mph and reach a max elevation of up to 16,000 feet – much lower than the 30,000-40,000 feet to which a commercial jet climbs. Bousfield said this allows passengers and pilots to take in the views from a whole new perspective.

……..

When they hit the market, Bousfield expects they’ll cost about $170,000.

On its website, Samson Sky allows people to reserve Switchblades in advance. There’s no cost to make a reservation. However, a deposit of $2,000 will be due within 45 days of the Switchblade’s first public flight. 

So far, more than 1,670 people have made reservations, and Bousfield said the number grows almost daily. 

One thing that still remains uncertain about the Switchblade is how people can insure it. Insurance for a flying car does not exist. For the moment, Bousfield expects owners of the Switchblade would need to purchase both car insurance and aircraft insurance.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.