Following RNC speech, Cruz critics urge McCaul to mount primary challenge

Source: CNN Politics | August 8, 2016 | Manu Raju and Theodore Schleifer

(CNN) – A quiet Republican campaign to oust Sen. Ted Cruz in next cycle’s Texas primary is unfolding as the conservative firebrand has launched an aggressive effort to keep his seat ahead of another likely run for the White House.

In the wake of Cruz’s controversial speech at the party convention where he refused to endorse Donald Trump, the Texas senator’s GOP critics believe there could be a new opening for an intraparty challenge. And behind the scenes, GOP donors and Texas politicians have urged Rep. Mike McCaul to consider mounting a bid against him in 2018, according to three sources familiar with the matter.

McCaul, a six-term congressman who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee, has not yet deliberated on the matter but has yet to rule out a potential Senate run, according to one source close to his House reelection campaign.

George Seay, a top Texas fundraiser, said he was aware of the chatter about a challenger to Cruz and praised McCaul’s talent and ability to run a competitive race, even though he counts Cruz as a longtime friend.

“Mike is very well-networked within the donor class,” Seay said. “He knows an awful lot of people.”

A McCaul spokesman declined to say Monday whether his boss would consider challenging Cruz, saying instead the congressman is focused on this November’s elections and his committee chairmanship.

….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #9106

Consistent #9109

Consistent #9115

Consistent #9116

So let me get this straight.

The establishment’s master plan to kill off Ted Cruz once and for all is to primary him with a Boehner stooge/squish, who has an F liberty score. Thus allowing Cruz a full year to massively fundraise, generate tons of media coverage by virtue of being primaried, and use this liberal Republican as a foil for his principles. And then head into 2020 being able to say he beat the establishment and kept his integrity in the process?

If I were on Cruz’s re-election team I’d be like “when do we start.”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.