Former Bush staffer urges 'fellow Latinos' to vote Trump 'out of office'

Source: The Hill | September 18, 2019 | Chris Mills Rodrigo

A former staffer in the George W. Bush administration wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post on Wednesday urging his “fellow Latinos” to vote President Trump out of office in 2020.

“I am a Republican. I worked in the George W. Bush White House,” Abel Guerra wrote in the op-ed. “And I say to my fellow Latinos: I’m not asking you to become a Democrat. But I am asking you to vote President Trump out of office.”

“Republicans have lost control of the monster they helped create. Trump hasn’t changed,” he continued.

“From day one, Trump spewed his white-supremacist views, promising to halt the invasion of immigrants and spurring a rhetoric of resentment and retaliation against the ‘other.’ No matter our background, we have been vilified as invaders, marked as illegal and degraded as subhuman. The silence from prominent Republicans is deafening,” he wrote.

Guerra highlighted last month’s shooting in El Paso, Texas, where 22 people died and dozens more were injured, saying that it “was the inevitable outcome of 30 straight months of hate speech coming from the White House.”

Patrick Wood Crusius, the alleged gunman, drove eight hours from the Dallas-Fort Worth area to El Paso, which is directly across the border from Mexico’s Ciudad Juárez and has a high concentration of Hispanic people.

Authorities have investigated Crusius in connection to a racist, anti-immigrant manifesto posted online before the attack that described fears of a Latino “invasion.”

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #31784

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.