Former GOP operative installed as NSA top lawyer resigns

Source: The Hill | April 18, 2021 | Mychael Schnell

Former GOP operative Michael Ellis resigned from his post as the National Security Agency’s top lawyer on Friday, after being placed on administrative leave the day President Trump left office.

According to The Washington Post, Ellis, who had been sidelined from the agency for nearly three months, was placed on leave in January pending an investigation by the Department of Defense’s Office of Inspector General (OIG) into the circumstances of his selection as NSA general counsel, and a security inquiry regarding his handling of classified information.

Ellis reportedly resigned on Friday, writing in a letter to NSA Director Paul Nakasone that he was “disappointed that you are not willing to meet with me or provide any additional information about NSA’s actions.”

“I have been on administrative leave for nearly three months without any explanation or updates, and there is no sign that NSA will attempt to resolve the issue. I therefore resign my position, effective immediately,” Ellis continued in a letter to Nakasone, obtained by The Post.

Nakasone on Friday told Congress that the inspector general inquiry into the circumstances of Ellis’ hire remained open.

……..

Ellis, who had previously served as a staffer at the National Security Council (NSC) and chief counsel for Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), was installed in his position at the NSA days before Trump left office, reportedly following an order from former acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller.

Sources told the Times and the Post that at the time, Nakasone was not supportive of Ellis’ appointment over other career officials at the agency.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.