Former GOP senator: Republicans cannot let Trump's 'reckless' post-election claims stand

Source: The Hill | November 20, 2020 | Alexander Bolton

Former Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) is calling on fellow Republicans to bat down President Trump’s unfounded claims that the presidential election was “rigged” and he, not Joe Biden, is the rightful winner.

“While the president has the right to legitimate legal challenges, responsible citizens cannot let the reckless actions by him and his legal team stand. Republicans have an obligation when the subject is of such importance to challenge demagoguery and patently false statements,” Corker said Friday morning on Twitter.

Corker, as Foreign Relations Committee chairman, often commented on transitions of power in foreign countries, but now he finds himself in the unusual position of intervening in the messy aftermath of a domestic election. 

Corker made his statement after Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani and other members of his legal team claimed at a news conference Thursday that they have evidence of a “massive fraud” that tilted the results of the election.

Giuliani’s message, however, was undermined by his own statement to a federal judge presiding over a lawsuit challenging the results in Pennsylvania that “this is not a fraud case.”

Giuliani on Thursday pointed to an allegation from a poll worker in Detroit who claims to have witnessed other poll workers attempt to influence voters, although the case in which she submitted a sworn statement was thrown out.

He suggested allegations of voter fraud around the country stem from actions organized “from a centralized place” and implicated “big cities controlled by Democrats” that “have a long history of corruption.”

“I know crimes, I can smell them. You don’t have to smell this one, I can prove it to you, 18 different ways. I can prove to you that he won Pennsylvania by 300,000 votes,” Giuliani said, referring to Trump.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.