Former Ukrainian prosecutor says he was fired for not investigating Hunter Biden: report

Source: The Hill | May 5, 2021 | Joseph Choi

Former Ukrainian Prosecutor General Ruslan Ryaboshapka said in an interview published on Wednesday that he believes he was fired from his position last year for refusing to investigate President Biden’s son Hunter Biden at the request of Rudy Giuliani and former President Trump.

Speaking to BuzzFeed News, Ryaboshapka said a recently published transcript of a phone call between Giuliani and Andriy Yermak, chief of staff to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, was proof that he had been fired for political reasons.

“It reveals an important detail,” Ryaboshapka told BuzzFeed. “Yermak promised Giuliani to open an investigation into Hunter Biden.”

“I didn’t know about the essence of the call. I didn’t know Yermak promised to help Giuliani,” he added.

In February, Time magazine obtained a transcript of a phone call between Giuliani and Yermak in which Giuliani demanded an investigation be opened that would help Trump win a second term in office.

“Let these investigations go forward,” Giuliani said to Yermak. “Get someone to investigate this.”

“Zelensky asked me several times if there are violations of the law in this case started by [former prosecutor general Yuriy] Lutsenko, violations by Hunter Biden,” Ryaboshapka said regarding the requested investigation. “We looked at 15 or 16 cases. We reviewed all of them and didn’t find anything that could be a violation of the law.”

“Mr. Riaboshapka’s statements may be caused by internal political circumstances in Ukraine and have nothing to do with the foreign policy of the state,” Zelensky’s office told BuzzFeed in response to the former prosecutor’s remarks. “The Office of the President is interested in developing a strong system of independent law enforcement agencies in Ukraine.”

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.