Fox's Bret Baier presses Hawley on election challenge: 'Are you trying to say as of January 20 Trump will be president?'

Source: The Hill | January 5, 2021 | Dominick Mastrangelo

Fox News anchor Bret Baier pressed Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) late Monday to explicitly say whether he believes President Trump will remain in the White House despite his defeat in the November election.

“I want to pin you down on what you’re trying to do,” Baier told Hawley during the Republican’s appearance on the network. “Are you trying to say as of Jan. 20 Trump will be president?”

Hawley responded: “That depends on what happens on Wednesday, that’s why we have the debate.”

“No it doesn’t,” Baier interjected. “The states, by the Constitution, say they certify the election, they did certify it. By the Constitution, Congress does not have the right to overturn the certification, at least as most experts read it.”

……..

Hawley told Baier on Monday that Congress is “directed under the 12th Amendment to count the electoral votes” and cited a statue from the late 1800s that he said provides him “a right to object, a right to be heard and there’s also a certification process.” 

“My point is, this is my only opportunity during this process to raise an objection and to be heard,” Hawley said. “I don’t have standing to file lawsuits.” 

The Senator’s promised objection comes after a number of courts in key battleground states rejected the Trump campaign’s legal challenges to results over the last two months.  

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.