Fox's Napolitano warns Trump: 'A felony' to accept foreign help for reelection

Source: The Hill | June 13, 2019 | Justin Wise

Fox News legal analyst Andrew Napolitano warned Thursday that President Trump would be committing a felony if he accepted damaging information from a foreign power for an election.

Napolitano weighed in a day after Trump refused to commit in an ABC News interview to calling the FBI if he received political dirt from a foreign government on a political opponent, remarks that sparked a political firestorm on Thursday.

Asked for his reaction to Trump’s comments, Napolitano said on Fox News’s “Shepard Smith Reporting” that Trump’s remarks showed the president is “prepared to commit a felony to get reelected.”

“That was my reaction and it was not a happy one,” Napolitano. “I was not happy to hear it. I thought he shot himself in the foot politically. I wish he hadn’t said it, but he did.”

Asked by Fox’s Shepard Smith if Trump had any “wiggle room” when it came to listening to a foreign entity offering information on a political opponent, Napolitano said no.

“There’s no wiggle room with respect to dirt, with respect to opposition research because the Federal Election Commission has already decided in other cases that that is a thing of value,” he said, adding that it “comes from a statute which prohibits receipt of money or a thing of value from a foreign national. Whether the person is working for a foreign government or not.”

“So what the president said he would do to [ABC News’s] George Stephanopoulos would be felonious,” Smith responded.

“Correct,” Napolitano replied. “He would be committing a felony and the person giving it to him, if that person was ever here and subject to our jurisdiction, would be committing a felony as well.”

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.