George Will: A Most Dreadful Inaugural Address

Source: National Review | January 20, 2017 | George Will

President Trump vindicated his severest critics by serving up reheated campaign rhetoric.

Twenty minutes into his presidency, Donald Trump, who is always claiming to have made, or to be about to make, astonishing history, had done so. Living down to expectations, he had delivered the most dreadful inaugural address in history.

Kellyanne Conway, Trump’s White House counselor, had promised that the speech would be “elegant.” This is not the adjective that came to mind as he described “American carnage.” That was a phrase the likes of which has never hitherto been spoken at an inauguration.

Oblivious to the moment and the setting, the always remarkable Trump proved that something dystopian can be strangely exhilarating: In what should have been a civic liturgy serving national unity and confidence, he vindicated his severest critics by serving up reheated campaign rhetoric about “rusted out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape” and an education system producing students “deprived of all knowledge.” Yes, all.

But cheer up, because the carnage will vanish if we “follow two simple rules: Buy American and hire American.” “Simple” is the right word.

……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #12965

“A dependence on the people,” James Madison wrote, “is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions.”

CA Surveyor #12970

George Will:

Snobbish imbecile.

The free world is celebrating a victory, and old sourpuss pukes on their joy. This is ridiculous; our guy got knocked out but we still overcame the Hildabeast completely.

ConservativeGranny #12984

Well now that the criticisms are rolling in WH aides are claiming that Trump did not write the speech but that Bannon and Stephen Miller wrote it.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/315464-bannon-miller-wrote-trumps-inauguration-address-report

I couldn’t access the WSJ that was the origin of the article as it is a paid site.

I think we can assume that if it is a good speech Trump wrote it and if it is a bad speech someone else did.

I tend to not pay much attention to politicians speeches anymore. I watch actions instead. Time will tell.

Consistent #12989

Dom Ruinart #13006

Uh, did you see the “free world” today? Nearly 3 million people turned out to oppose Trump in over 600 marches throughout the world.

Not everybody is celebrating.

EVERYDAY #13017

Dom, I’m just trying to figure out what it is these marchers are protesting. Just what rights don’t they have now and what rights do they think Trump has taken, or will take away from them? Try asking a liberal or feminist and they won’t be able to tell you. I’m not celebrating, but the guy has been in office for 3 days. Let’s see what he does as president first, and then if people don’t like it, they can protest.

Dom Ruinart #13019

The marches yesterday are a shot across Trump’s bow. That’s a good thing.

ConservativeGranny #13031

They would have done the same thing if any Repub would have won the election. There is no logic to their actions except to create chaos, destruction and destroy freedom. These aren’t oppressed people, they are spoiled brats with no morals. Godless. They have an agenda of course and they have been gaining ground. They won’t give that ground up without a fuss.

They are not a revolution in the sense we understand a revolution as they have lost no freedoms and really have nothing to protest except that things have not gone their way. They are just a mob.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.