GOP bracing for Trump indictment soon after Election Day

Source: The Hill | October 31, 2022 | Alexander Bolton

Republican aides and strategists privately expect Attorney General Merrick Garland to pursue an indictment of former President Trump within 60 to 90 days after Election Day, predicting the window for prosecuting Trump will close once the 2024 presidential campaign gains momentum.

Republican aides on Capitol Hill and veteran party strategists emphasize they don’t have any inside information on what Garland might do, but they say the attorney general is under heavy pressure from Democrats to act and the deadline for pursuing an indictment is fast approaching.

GOP aides also warn that an indictment of Trump by the Biden administration would further polarize the nation and likely strengthen Trump’s support from the Republican Party’s base as the former president and his allies would frame the Department of Justice’s prosecution as a political witch hunt.

“A couple of weeks after the election, I assume that Garland will indict Trump,” said one veteran Republican aide, expressing a sentiment shared by several other GOP aides and strategists.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #56365

Consistent #56366

EVERYDAY #56369

Why not now? In fact, why not months ago?

Garland could have indicted Trump for something by now. That he hasn’t means he’s dragging it out, hoping a GOP majority in congress will mean he won’t have to indict at all. He’s not being meticulous or thorough, as some have suggested. He just doesn’t want to indict. Why, I don’t know and I wish someone would look into the reason.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.