GOP breaks with Trump firing of cyber chief: Adds to 'confusion and chaos'

Source: The Hill | November 18, 2020 | Jordain Carney

Several Senate Republicans are pushing back on President Trump’s decision to fire Chris Krebs, a top cybersecurity official, in a rare break with the administration.

The reactions from GOP senators, who generally are careful to stick closely to Trump, range from those offering support for Krebs to those openly breaking with Trump’s decision to fire him.

“It’s the president’s prerogative but I think it just adds to the confusion and chaos, and I’m sure I’m not the only one that would like some return to a little bit more of a — I don’t even know what’s normal anymore. We’ll call it the next normal,” said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee and an adviser to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) said Trump should be “very proud” on the administration’s work on election security and that Krebs had a “major role.”

“I was very disappointed when I found out that he’d been terminated,” Rounds said.

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) noted that Krebs’s firing was the president’s decision, but called it a “terrible mistake.”

“I don’t agree with it,” Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.) added. “He’s kept us very well informed, he’s been very professional. I’ve had several meetings with him … and I’m appreciative of all of his work”

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), another member of the Intelligence panel, praised Krebs in a statement, adding that he “obviously should not be fired.”

Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) defended Krebs during an interview with CNN, calling him a “real professional” and someone that he’s “worked well with.”

“I think he was very good. I think what he was trying to do in an unprecedented way was to connect with every state in the country, and give them what they needed to protect and have a firewall in place to protect against cyberattacks,” Portman said.

Other GOP senators were more tepid, noting they thought Krebs had done a good job but that it was up to the president whether he stayed in the position.

Senate Intelligence Committee acting Chairman Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said his interactions with Krebs were “positive” and he doesn’t “have any criticism of his work” but that it was up to Trump whether to fire him.

“I don’t have any problem with the job Krebs did, but all these people work for the president. There’s nothing illegal or improper in that sense in him having people work underneath him that he wants to work for him,” Rubio said.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) added that it was a decision about what officials Trump wanted in office but “from everything I saw it appeared that he did an able job in a difficult and important role.”

Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.), a member of the Intelligence Committee, became one of the first GOP senators to praise Krebs on Tuesday night, while not criticizing his firing, calling him a “dedicated public servant who has done a remarkable job during a challenging time.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.