GOP senator on Trump accepting nomination at White House: 'Is that even legal?'

Source: The Hill | August 5, 2020 | Alexander Bolton

Senate Republican Whip John Thune (S.D.) on Wednesday raised possible legal concerns when asked about President Trump potentially accepting the Republican presidential nomination on the South Lawn of the White House.

“Is that even legal?” Thune asked when reporters queried him about Republican National Convention planners thinking about having Trump accept his party’s nomination for a second term on White House grounds.

“I assume that’s not something that you could do. I assume there’s some Hatch Act issues or something,” he said. “I don’t know the answer to that and I haven’t heard him say that, but I think anything to do with federal property would seem to me to be problematic.”

The Hatch Act prohibits partisan political activity by a federal employee in a government room or building or any room or building occupied in the discharge of official duties, according to a memo posted by the Department of the Interior’s ethics office.

Trump said Wednesday that accepting the nomination at the White House would “be the easiest from the standpoint of security.”

……….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #41715

Consistent #41716

Consistent #41729

Consistent #41730

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.