GOP senator says he disagrees with DeSantis on mask mandates

Source: The Hill | August 8, 2021 | Mychael Schnell

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) on Sunday said he disagrees with the order by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) that bans mask mandates in local schools.

“I’m a conservative. I think you govern best when you govern closest to the people being governed,” Cassidy said when asked about the issue during an interview with Dana Bash on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“And if a local community is having a — their ICU is full, and the people at the local schools see that they’ve got to make sure they stay open because otherwise children miss out for another year of school, and they put in policy, then the local officials should be listened to,” Cassidy said.

“I don’t want to top down from Washington, D.C. I don’t want to top down from a governor’s office,” he added.

DeSantis and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) both recently signed orders that ban mask mandates in public schools.

……..

Cassidy said that if COVID-19 conditions in his state were dire, he would allow local officials to “make those decisions best for their community.”

“When it comes to local conditions, if my hospital is full and my vaccination rate is low and infection rate is going crazy, we should allow local officials to make those decisions best for their community,” the Republican senator said.

Cassidy’s home state of Louisiana is also experiencing an alarming surge in COVID-19 cases from the delta variant.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.