GOP senator says Trump has too many acting officials

Source: The Hill | February 4, 2019 | Avery Anapol

Republican senators are growing concerned over the number of officials in the Trump administration serving in an acting capacity, according to the Washington Post.

Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) told the Post that there are “way too many” people in acting posts in Trump’s Cabinet agencies.

“You want to have confirmed individuals there because they have a lot more authority to be able to make decisions and implement policy when you have a confirmed person in that spot,” Lankford said.

Trump has at least five Cabinet officials who are currently “acting,” due to their predecessors resigning or being pushed out.

These include officials serving as acting attorney general, Defense secretary, Interior secretary and Veterans Affairs secretary.

Republicans have repeatedly blamed Senate Democrats for stalling Trump’s nominees, but the president has not yet named people to a number of key posts, including to permanently lead the Pentagon and Interior Department.

The Post and the Partnership for Public Service, a nonprofit, nonpartisan watchdog group, found that Trump has not nominated people for 150 Senate-confirmed posts out of 705.

Senators have raised particular concerns about the vacancy left at the top of the Defense Department following Secretary Jim Mattis’ abrupt resignation in December, according to the Post.

…….

Trump has defended having a large number of acting officials, saying it gives him more “flexibility” to make personnel changes.

“I like acting because I can move so quickly,” he told CBS News in an interview on Sunday.

But legal experts interviewed by the Post raised concerns that any actions taken or policies enacted by acting officials may not be compliant with the Vacancies Act and could be easily challenged or overturned.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #27642

EVERYDAY #27643

Well, Trump is an “acting” president.

ConservativeGranny #27646

I think he is having problems getting people to take the jobs. Anyone with any common sense or integrity wouldn’t want to touch those jobs under this administration. Trump will say however that he has “hundreds” of people begging for the job.

EVERYDAY #27647

I think the best and the brightest have figured out a job with this administration is not the resume enhancer it should be. They have looked at John Kelly and others who have either been fired or departed of their own accord and realized the stress and aggravation of working for a tyrannical moron and having to deal with Trump’s spoiled brat kids is just not worth it.

Was reading that Chris Christie has had some negative comments about the Trump White House. I expect he is bitter at not being offered a job in the administration. Christie should really count his blessings and thank God he didn’t get a job in that insane asylum.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by EVERYDAY.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.