GOP's Sasse warns Trump might cause 'Republican blood bath' in November

Source: The Hill | October 16, 2020 | Cameron Jenkins

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) told constituents that President Trump’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and alienation of voters could result in a “Republican blood bath” within the Senate in November, according to The New York Times,

“I’m now looking at the possibility of a Republican blood bath in the Senate, and that’s why I’ve never been on the Trump train,” Sasse said, according to the Times. “It’s why I didn’t agree to be on his re-election committee, and it’s why I’m not campaigning for him.”

He said Trump’s defeat in November “looks likely” and warned “we are staring down the barrel of a blue tsunami,” according to the Times.

For nine minutes on the Wednesday call, Sasse lambasted Trump’s foreign policy, stating the president has turned away allies and ignored human rights. 

“The debate is not going to be, ‘Ben Sasse, why were you so mean to Donald Trump?’” Sasse said, according to the Washington Examiner, which first obtained the audio. “It’s going to be, ‘What the heck were any of us thinking, that selling a TV-obsessed, narcissistic individual to the American people was a good idea?'”

Sasse, who is up for reelection on Nov. 3, reportedly said on the call that he has tried to create a “working relationship” with the Trump administration in the past. He said that he supported Trump’s adoption of traditionally conservative policies and nominations of conservative judges but has become frustrated with Trump’s “deficient” values, according to the Times.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.