Greg Gianforte: Fox News team witnesses GOP House candidate 'body slam' reporter

Source: Fox News | May 24, 2017 | Alicia Acuna

…..

Faith, Keith and I arrived early to set up for the interview in a room adjacent to another room where a volunteer BBQ was to take place. As the time for the interview neared, Gianforte came into the room. We exchanged pleasantries and made small talk about restaurants and Bozeman.

During that conversation, another man — who we now know is Ben Jacobs of The Guardian — walked into the room with a voice recorder, put it up to Gianforte’s face and began asking if he had a response to the newly released Congressional Budget Office report on the American Health Care Act. Gianforte told him he would get to him later. Jacobs persisted with his question. Gianforte told him to talk to his press guy, Shane Scanlon.

At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter. As Gianforte moved on top of Jacobs, he began yelling something to the effect of, “I’m sick and tired of this!”

Jacobs scrambled to his knees and said something about his glasses being broken. He asked Faith, Keith and myself for our names. In shock, we did not answer. Jacobs then said he wanted the police called and went to leave. Gianforte looked at the three of us and repeatedly apologized. At that point, I told him and Scanlon, who was now present, that we needed a moment. The men then left.

To be clear, at no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte, who left the area after giving statements to local sheriff’s deputies. 

……

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #16096

Consistent #16097

Consistent #16101

EVERYDAY #16120

Ok, all I’ve found so far is an audio of the encounter. Did anyone take a video? I’m not about to take the word of a Fox reporter that this Jacobs guy did nothing to Gianforte to precipitate the alleged attack.

I understand that about 2/3 of the votes in this election were already cast before the incident was reported, so it may not affect the outcome of the race. However, should Gianforte win and the alleged assault case goes to trial, Gianforte might not be seated.

News people have become incredibly rude and insensitive. It’s quite possible that Jacobs got too far into Gianforte’s face and Gianforte had enough. Gianforte probably should have kept his cool, but I can understand if he didn’t.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.