Habitat for Humanity sells its first 3D printed home

Source: The Hill | December 27, 2021 | Shirin Ali

“My son and I are so thankful. I always wanted to be a homeowner. It’s a dream come true,” said April Stringfield.

Habitat for Humanity sold its first 3D printed home that took just 12 hours to print and is estimated to have saved 15 percent per square foot in building costs.

On Dec. 21, Habitat for Humanity Peninsula and Greater Williamsburg held a ribbon-cutting ceremony that would become a national milestone. A three-bedroom home with two full baths became the first-ever 3D-printed Habitat house in the country. It was purchased by April Stringfield, who plans to move in with her 13-year-old son. 

Stringfield purchased the 3D-printed home through the Habitat Homebuyer Program, which requires buyers to have an income between 45 to 80 percent of the area’s median income, excellent credit and the ability to pay for their new home. Habitat homes are not sold at a profit and come with a zero-interest 20-to-30-year mortgage. 

……..

In addition to falling under the Habitat Homebuyer Program’s eligibility requirements, Stringfield also logged 300 sweat hours, known as volunteer hours. Some of those hours were spent helping the crew on the construction site of her new home.

Habitat for Humanity partnered with Alquist 3D, a company that specializes in 3D-printing of homes, and the crew printed the 1,200 square foot home in just 12 hours, reducing the standard construction schedule by at least four weeks. 

……..

Along with her 3D-printed home, Stringfield will also receive a downloadable computer file that will allow her to print knobs, light switch covers and other replaceable parts for her home.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.