Hannity urges Trump to pardon himself

Source: The Hill | December 1, 2020 | Harper Neidig

Sean Hannity said on his radio and television shows Monday that he thinks President Trump should pardon himself in order to avoid a potential prosecution from the incoming Biden administration.

The conservative host referred to an op-ed by a former member of the special counsel’s office, Andrew Weissman, arguing for Trump to be investigated and potentially prosecuted by the next administration.

“If that’s what they want to do, if Biden ever became president, I’d tell Trump to pardon yourself and pardon your family,” Hannity said on his Fox News show late Monday.

……..

No president has ever tried to pardon himself, and many legal scholars are skeptical that such a move would be constitutional. When President Nixon was considering pardoning himself at the end of his administration, the Department of Justice issued a memo in 1974 saying it would not be legal.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #45079

EVERYDAY #45083

Another thing: a pardon, if legitimate, would not apply to the state court proceedings to be activated in the state of New York and the Borough of Manhattan. If the feds can’t put him away, maybe some local or state proceeding will get him to prison.

ConservativeGranny #45107

I don’t think you can pardon yourself for something you haven’t been tried and convicted of. What would he be pardoning himself for? I thought he didn’t do anything wrong? Another idiotic idea from the Trump administration that will go nowhere. Hannity is really not a deep thinker. You can’t write a blank pardon check.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.