Harris: Busing 'should be considered' by school districts

Source: The Hill | July 4, 2019 | Rebecca Klar

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) told reporters Wednesday that busing should be one method school districts consider to integrate de-facto segregated schools, but suggested it may not need to be federally mandated, comments that come not long after her attack on former Vice President Joe Biden over the issue.

Harris during last week’s Democratic debate in Miami launched an attack on Biden for voting against federally mandated busing. Biden said he supported busing as a decision left to local districts, but Harris suggested it’s the federal government’s job to make sure schools aren’t segregated. 

“That’s where the federal government must step in,” she said at the debate, in what turned out to be a breakout moment for the candidate. 

But Harris’s comments on Wednesday, made while on the campaign trail in Iowa, suggested her position may be more in line with Biden’s than she previously indicated.

“I think of busing as being in the toolbox of what is available and what can be used for the goal of desegregating America’s schools,” Harris said, according to the Associated Press report.

When asked to clarify if she supports federally mandated busing, Harris reportedly replied, “I think of busing as being in the toolbox of what is available and what can be used for the goal of desegregating America’s schools.”

……….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #30394

EVERYDAY #30403

Stuff it, honey. Busing is done in my neck of the woods. It does nothing to improve the quality of education. These kids, white or black, still graduate (maybe they graduate; many don’t) with only the bare minimum of literacy.

Did it ever occur to Miz Harris that the schools are segregated because they are in neighborhoods where the residents are segregated — by their own choice?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.