Hawley gets boisterous ovation at CPAC for Electoral College objection

Source: The Hill | February 26, 2021 | Alexander Bolton

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo), who seemed to have become something of a pariah in the Senate since his Electoral College objections on Jan. 6 and his fist-pumping show of encouragement to a pro-Trump crowd outside the Capitol earlier that day, received a boisterous ovation at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) on Friday.

Hawley, who admits he’s not popular with his Senate colleagues, basked in the adulation of the conservative crowd, declaring “I’m not going anywhere” and noting efforts by the “radical left, their corporate allies [and] the liberal media to cancel me.”

“I’m here today, I’m not going anywhere and I’m not backing down, not a chance!” Hawley declared on stage in Orlando, Fla., his voice rising to a defiant yell.

“I just want to say to those people who say to us, ‘Oh, you’re the past, your moment has passed, it’s over, it’s Joe Biden’s America now,’ we’re not the past, we’re the future, we represent the future of this country,” he said. “We’re not going to back down to the woke mob, we’re not going to back down to the cancel culture, we’re not going to be told what we can say or do.”

Hawley said conservatives are “facing a fight for the Republic itself” and what he called “an unprecedented alliance between radical liberals and the biggest, most powerful corporations in the history of the world,” referring to Google, Facebook and Twitter.

He said the nation is facing a Big Tech “oligarchy” that wants to rule the country, pointing to Twitter’s decision to ban former President Trump from its platform to address the risk that he might incite further violence after a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6.

“The Big Tech corporations have deplatformed conservatives left and right. Shut them up, shut them out, shut them down. Heck, they censored the president of the United States. If they can censor him, they can censor any American citizen and I’ve got my own experience with this, unfortunately,” he said.

When Hawley recalled his decision to objection to the certification of the Electoral College vote — “Maybe you heard about it,” he quipped — he was met with loud, sustained applause.

“I stood up and said, ‘We ought to have a debate about election integrity,’ I said, ‘It is the right of the people to be heard and my constituents in Missouri want to be heard on this issue,’ ” he said.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #47647

EVERYDAY #47651

Please. Stop calling that crowd “conservative.” Anyone who supports a violent coup is not conservative.

It was suggested on social media that since these people love Q Anon conspiracy theories,CPAC should be changed to QPAC. Sounds good to me.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.