Hogan says ‘my side’ of GOP had a good night: ‘Trump’s side did not’

Source: The Hill | November 9, 2022 | Zach Schonfeld

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) boasted to CBS’s Robert Costa about anti-Trump Republicans’ victories on Tuesday night.

“I’ve been talking about a bigger tent,” Hogan told Costa, adding, “And we need that. I think there is a battle for which direction the Republican Party will go. My side of the party had a really good night. Trump’s side did not.”

In the race for Hogan’s successor, Democrat Wes Moore flipped the governor’s mansion by defeating Dan Cox, a Republican endorsed by Trump who endorsed unfounded claims of mass election fraud in 2020. Hogan declined to endorse Cox.

“I don’t know if it was a complete repudiation of Trump and Trump politics, but it was certainly a much better night for Republicans running as commonsense conservatives,” Hogan told CBS. “Those Republicans won almost everywhere.”

Hogan said that for years he “felt like I was on a lifeboat all by myself” within his party “with everybody on the Trump Titanic.”

But now, Hogan told Costa, “we need a bigger boat,” adding that Tuesday’s election results make him more likely to seek his party’s presidential nomination in 2024.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.