House Republican Mark Amodei backs inquiry but not impeachment

Source: Politico | September 27, 2019 | Melanie Zanona

Rep. Mark Amodei on Friday became the first Republican to explicitly back the House’s investigation into President Donald Trump over his interactions with Ukraine, though the Nevada lawmaker made clear that he does not support impeachment.

In a conference call with local media, the five-term congressman told reporters, “I’m a big fan of oversight, so let’s let the committees get to work and see where it goes,” according to an audio of the call released by The Nevada Independent.

Amodei said he is withholding judgment on whether Trump’s actions amounted to an impeachable offense — “Let’s put it through the process and see what happens,” he said — but he did express concern over the possibility that Trump asked a foreign government to dig up dirt on a political opponent.

“Using government agencies to, if it’s proven, to put your finger on the scale of an election, I don’t think that’s right,” Amodei said. “If it turns out that it’s something along those lines, then there’s a problem.”

After the Nevada Independent ran an article saying Amodei backs an impeachment inquiry, he put out a statement through his office to clarify that “in no way, shape, or form, did I indicate support for impeachment.”

……….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #31940

EVERYDAY #31942

But if the inquiry reveals sufficient wrongdoing by Trump, then what are you going to do, Mr. Amodei?

Sounds like the Republicans got the memo: Protect Donnie or else.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.