How to Talk About the Election with Relatives this Thanksgiving

Source: RedState | November 20, 2016 | Joe Cunningham

….

Here’s my advice: If you want to talk about the election with your relatives at Thanksgiving, don’t go to Thanksgiving. Just stay home. Everything and everyone will be better if you do.

My advice is simple enough for even any who struggle with this concept. Staying at home is much better for you, anyway. You can enjoy drinking alone without having to worry that someone around you is wrong. You can avoid the massive quantities of questionably healthy food. You can revel in the fact that, when you’re home alone, one hundred percent of the people where you are can be counted on to agree with you all the time.

Don’t bother dealing with people for Thanksgiving when you know they don’t agree with your politics. Stand up and say “No more.” Reject their presence. You don’t need to correct them this year. They clearly haven’t learned their lesson the last eighteen family gatherings you’ve attended. They’re lost causes.

Every single year, we have this conversation. Every single year, we’re forced to endure a bunch of liberals who clearly don’t know how to communicate with their families in any non-political sense as they write list upon list upon list of how to deal with the fact that *GASP* a family member has a different political opinion than they do. Why on earth do we have this problem? Because we politicize all the things. When they get to their Thanksgiving gatherings, and their Republican uncle says something, they are going to be so triggered by the RACISM and BIGOTRY that they will have to respond.

It’s not going to be just liberals, either. Many of us are going to have to deal with triumphant Donald Trump backers who are ready to get in our faces and tell us just how wrong we were. “Oh ho ho,” they’ll say, because they’re the type of people who triumphantly say “oh ho ho” in conversation. “Looks like YOU were wrong. How’s that feel? Does it bother you that you now have to live with the Great and Glorious Era of Donald Trump?”

If you are getting your talking points together for Thanksgiving, write them down on note cards. And then burn the note cards. Go buy a pumpkin pie and/or some bourbon. Everyone will be much happier.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #11567

EVERYDAY #11577

My family doesn’t get into arguments about politics or religion. But if we did, I think we would all be in agreement about Trump. We may have different reasons, but we all can’t stand Trump.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.