Hurd calls on public to flag shooting threats on social media

Source: The Hill | August 4, 2019 | Zack Budryk

Rep. Will Hurd (R-Texas) said on CBS’ “Face the Nation” that the public should report social media threats of mass violence to law enforcement in the wake of a mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, that killed 20 on Saturday.

“If you see something on social media of someone talking about doing a heinous crime like this, take a screenshot and share it with local law enforcement or the FBI’s website,” said Hurd, whose district is adjacent to El Paso.

Hurd added that while he was one of eight Republicans who supported a universal background check bill that passed the House, the focus should also be on how shooters are radicalized. Police have said they are investigating the authenticity of a racist, anti-immigrant manifesto purporting to be by the suspect in the El Paso shooting.

“Why does a young man from the suburbs think this is the way that he should do something? That is a trend that we’ve seen so many times,” Hurd told CBS’ Major Garrett. “That’s something that you don’t need legislation to fix.”

Hurd cited similar writings by white nationalist Dylann Roof, who murdered nine African American worshippers at a Charleston, S.C., church in 2015, indicating that he was radicalized by reading white nationalists’ discussions of the 2012 killing of Trayvon Martin.

The Texas congressman further addressed former Rep. Beto O’Rourke’s (D-Texas) remarks tying the shooting to President Trump’s rhetoric.

“I think divisive rhetoric is not the way to go. I think [Trump]’s denounced these attacks. He has an opportunity to be a uniter in chief, and I hope that’s the way to go,” Hurd said.

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.