Hurricane Florence could pose major threat to East Coast next week

Source: CNN | September 6, 2018 | Brandon Miller

(CNN) – Hurricane Florence has weakened some but will likely strengthen again into a major hurricane and could threaten the US East Coast by next week.

On Wednesday, Florence became the first major hurricane of the 2018 Atlantic season, with maximum sustained winds peaking at 130 mph, making it a Category 4 hurricane, according to the National Hurricane Center.

……

It’s too early to tell if the storm will make landfall somewhere on the East Coast, or if it will turn harmlessly back to sea.

……

There are dozens of different models and versions of forecast tracks that meteorologists have among their forecasting tools, and a majority still show the center of Florence staying offshore — but most track it close enough to cause some impact next week.

Florence should track south of Bermuda early next week but will be close enough to bring gusty winds and dangerous surf conditions. Large swells will also begin affecting the Southeastern US coastlines, with larger waves and rough surf as early as this weekend, increasing through next week.

……

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #25536

Consistent #25566

EVERYDAY #25568

I have family in Virginia. Already they have been warned that Florence might hit them.

Meanwhile, those of us further inland are being pelted by rain from the previous storm, Gordon. I’m lucky I don’t live in a flood plain. I might get a trickle of water in the basement and garage. But some low-lying regions around here are being told to prepare for evacuation to higher ground.

Prayers up for everyone in the path of either or both storms. Stay safe!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.