Hurricane Irma downgraded to Cat 3, but expected to rebound before hitting FL

Source: Washington Examiner | September 9, 2017 | Daniel Chaitin

Hurricane Irma downgraded to Category 3, but expected to rebound before hitting Florida

Hurricane Irma has been downgraded to a Category 3 storm, according to the latest forecast from the National Hurricane Center on Saturday.

As the storm continues to batter Cuba, the 11 a.m. Eastern advisory said it has weakened to 125 miles-per-hour sustained maximum winds, which is still a “major” storm according to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale used by the NHC.

However, the NHC warns, Irma is expected to “restrengthen once it moves away from Cuba,” moving over warmer waters and “is expected to remain a powerful hurricane as it approaches Florida.”

Irma is forecast to make landfall sometime Sunday morning.

The latest advisory also said the storm surge threat area has extended north; parts of southern Florida face 5 to 10 feet, and in some cases, 10 to 15 feet of “life-threatening” storm surge.

The outer bands from the storm have already begun to reach the southernmost parts of the state. More 5.6 million residents have been ordered to evacuate and officials say 20,000 people are already without power. Economics predict up to $200 billion worth of damage.

………

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #18708

Consistent #18710

Consistent #18717

EVERYDAY #18718

Really, when you are talking about Category 3, 4 or 5, is there really all that much difference in terms of destruction and loss of life? Somehow I don’t see 120 mph winds being better than 160 mph winds. Maybe I will when Irma is downgraded to a tropical storm. Or not. This summer, my neck of the woods saw destruction from flooding caused by unusually heavy rains. No hurricane or tropical storm. Doesn’t matter what causes it. If your home is destroyed, it’s still destroyed.

Regardless of what category this hurricane is — prayers for everyone affected. And right now, that includes Georgia, South Carolina and any other state affected, in addition to Florida.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.