'I should not have been there': Top general regrets Trump photo op

Source: Politico | June 11, 2020 | Lara Seligman

The Joint Chiefs chairman said his presence and the photographs compromised his commitment to a military divorced from politics.

Gen. Mark Milley, the nation’s top military officer, expressed his regret on Thursday for walking with President Donald Trump across Lafayette Square for a photo op after authorities forcefully cleared the area of protesters, calling the appearance a “mistake.”

“I should not have been there,” said Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, in a video commencement address to National Defense University. “As a commissioned uniformed officer, it was a mistake that I have learned from, and I sincerely hope we all can learn from it.”

The remarks were first reported by The New York Times. POLITICO obtained the video of the address.

The June 1 images of Milley walking the streets of D.C. in his combat uniform prompted outrage from current and retired officials, and many accused Pentagon leaders of allowing the military to be used as a political prop by the Trump administration.

Trump had just announced to reporters that if states do not call up the National Guard to handle civil unrest following the killing of George Floyd, he would deploy active-duty troops to those cities.

After the remarks, U.S. Park Police forcefully removed protesters from Lafayette Square, allowing Trump, Milley, Defense Secretary Mark Esper and other top officials to walk across the area to St. John’s Episcopal Church, which had been damaged by fire. Trump posed for cameras holding a bible, then Esper joined other officials in a group photo as Milley stood to the side. Esper later told reporters that he didn’t know he was heading for a photo op.

Milley acknowledged to the NDU graduates that his presence at the photo op inappropriately politicized the military.

……….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #40058

Consistent #40059

Consistent #40064

Consistent #40065

Consistent #40067

Consistent #40068

Consistent #40069

EVERYDAY #40073

As with Obama before him, Trump uses the military for props. This general was used.

Consistent #40075

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.