'I think I’d take it': In exclusive interview, Trump says he would listen if foreigners offered dirt on opponents

Source: ABC News | June 12, 2019 | lucien bruggeman

President Donald Trump may not alert the FBI if foreign governments offered damaging information against his 2020 rivals during the upcoming presidential race, he said, despite the deluge of investigations stemming from his campaign’s interactions with Russians during the 2016 campaign.

Asked by ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos in the Oval Office on Wednesday whether his campaign would accept such information from foreigners — such as China or Russia — or hand it over the FBI, Trump said, “I think maybe you do both.”

“I think you might want to listen, there isn’t anything wrong with listening,” Trump continued. “If somebody called from a country, Norway, [and said] ‘we have information on your opponent’ — oh, I think I’d want to hear it.”

………

Trump disputed the idea that if a foreign government provided information on a political opponent, it would be considered interference in our election process.

“It’s not an interference, they have information — I think I’d take it,” Trump said. “If I thought there was something wrong, I’d go maybe to the FBI — if I thought there was something wrong. But when somebody comes up with oppo research, right, they come up with oppo research, ‘oh let’s call the FBI.’ The FBI doesn’t have enough agents to take care of it. When you go and talk, honestly, to congressman, they all do it, they always have, and that’s the way it is. It’s called oppo research.”

………

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #30040

Consistent #30041

EVERYDAY #30043

I guess since Trump and his fans believe their own lie that the Mueller report exonerated Trump from any wrongdoing on the question of Russian collusion to influence the 2016 election — Trump is essentially saying he can just go ahead and let the Russians interfere with and influence next year’s presidential election.

Whether accepting such “assistance” from a foreign power, including an enemy of the US, is illegal, the act is indeed immoral and unethical. And I would say that since Russia is our enemy and not our friend as Trump fans would have us all believe, such acceptance would actually be treasonous as well.

Would it ever occur to Trump that any such information he might receive could be false? I suppose not since Trump and his fans spread lies about Ted Cruz during the primaries. Trump has indicated throughout his past history that he really doesn’t care about ethics or morality. And apparently, he doesn’t care about illegalities either.

Consistent #30104

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.