Impeachment manager Plaskett: GOP senators privately said she 'made the case' against Trump

Source: The Hill | February 16, 2021 | Jordan Williams

Del. Stacey Plaskett (D-Virgin Islands), one of the House impeachment managers during former President Trump’s second impeachment trial, said some GOP senators privately told her she “made the case” against him.

During an appearance on CNN’s “Cuomo Prime Time” on Monday night, Plaskett said some Republicans said they would vote to acquit Trump even though she made a strong argument that he incited the riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 that led to five deaths.

“I had senators even after we presented who stopped me in the hallway — Republicans — who said that we had made the case but yet they were going to vote to acquit the president,” Plaskett told host Chris Cuomo.

Plaskett also said she offered those senators a “get-out-of-jail-free card” by suggesting they vote to convict the former president but not to disqualify him from future office, which would have taken only a majority. That second vote never happened, however, because Trump was acquitted.

“The response was ‘Well, you’ll never get to 17, so I’ll never get to that second disqualification vote, and I’m not going to stand out on a limb all by myself,’” Plaskett said.

……..

“I don’t believe that what we saw among those people are what is the majority of Americans,” Plaskett said.

“Those 43 individuals who believe that their party and the president was more important than their oath, who believe that a seat in the Senate was more important than their constitutional duty, I think, represent a much smaller number of Americans that are out there,” she added.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.