Incoming CIA Director Has Reputation for Confronting Iran

Source: Washington Free Beacon | November 18, 2016 | Adam Kredo

Pompeo pick garners high praise from congressional sources, policy experts

President-elect Donald Trump’s selection of Rep. Mike Pompeo (R., Kan.) to serve as the next CIA director is garnering early praise from senior congressional insiders and foreign policy experts, who told the Washington Free Beacon on Friday that the lawmaker has won plaudits for taking a tough line on Iranian intransigence and investigating the Obama administration’s secret negotiations with Tehran.

Pompeo, a member of the House Intelligence Committee, earned a reputation among his Republican colleagues for his aggressive investigations into Obama administration secrecy surrounding last year’s nuclear agreement with Iran, multiple sources confirmed.

Multiple investigations by the lawmaker unearthed documents showing that senior U.S. officials engaged in secret talks with Iran that led to the payment of nearly $2 billion to Tehran by the United States.

Pompeo accepted the position of CIA director on Friday morning.

“I am honored and humbled to accept the president-elect’s nomination to lead the Central Intelligence Agency,” Pompeo said in a statement. “This was a difficult decision. I have genuinely loved representing the people of Kansas in Congress–working to make our community stronger and more prosperous. But ultimately the opportunity to lead the world’s finest intelligence warriors, who labor tirelessly to keep this nation and Kansas safe, is a call to service I cannot ignore.”

…..

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.