IRS announces extension of filing deadline to May 17

Source: The Hill | March 17, 2021 | Naomi Jagoda

The IRS on Wednesday announced that it is extending the deadline for individuals to file their 2020 tax returns from April 15 to May 17, after lawmakers and tax preparers sought a postponement of the due date.

“This continues to be a tough time for many people, and the IRS wants to continue to do everything possible to help taxpayers navigate the unusual circumstances related to the pandemic, while also working on important tax administration responsibilities,” IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig said in a news release.

Rettig added that taxpayers should still consider filing as soon as they can, particularly if they expect to receive refunds.

“Filing electronically with direct deposit is the quickest way to get refunds, and it can help some taxpayers more quickly receive any remaining stimulus payments they may be entitled to,” he said.

The announcement from the IRS comes after two top House Democrats said earlier on Wednesday that the agency was going to issue the extension. It also comes one day before Rettig is scheduled to testify at a House hearing.

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle had been urging the IRS to extend the deadline, arguing that pandemic-related challenges that prompted the agency to issue an extension last year still remain. Lawmakers also said that many people have questions about how recently enacted coronavirus relief legislation impacts their taxes.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #47983

EVERYDAY #47986

I gave my tax records to my guy a week ago and told him, no hurry. Well, now that the deadline has been extended, I guess he will wait till next month. LOL

Doesn’t matter really. I will probably break even this year — no refund, no money owed.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.