Jackie Mason, comic who perfected amused outrage, dies at 93

Source: Associated Press | July 24, 2021 | Mark Kennedy

NEW YORK (AP) — Jackie Mason, a rabbi-turned-comedian whose feisty brand of standup comedy led him to Catskills nightclubs, West Coast talk shows and Broadway stages, has died. He was 93.

Mason died Saturday at 6 p.m. ET at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Manhattan after being hospitalized for over two weeks, the celebrity lawyer Raoul Felder told The Associated Press.

The irascible Mason was known for his sharp wit and piercing social commentary, often about being Jewish, men and women and his own inadequacies. His typical style was amused outrage.

“Eighty percent of married men cheat in America. The rest cheat in Europe,” he once joked. Another Mason line was: “Politics doesn’t make strange bedfellows, marriage does.” About himself, he once said: “I was so self-conscious, every time football players went into a huddle; I thought they were talking about me.”

His death was mourned far and wide, from fellow comedian Gilbert Gottfried, who called him “one of the best,” to Fox News Channel personality Sean Hannity, who hailed Mason as “irreverent, iconoclastic, funny, smart and a great American patriot.” Henry Winkler tweeted: “Now you get to make heaven laugh.”

……..

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #49757

EVERYDAY #49761

Before becoming a comedian, Mason was a rabbi. I was surprised to learn he served in a congregation in PA not far from me. Mason said he began telling jokes during the services and before long, even Gentiles began attending services just to hear his jokes. I guess he decided he would do better as a comedian than a rabbi, so he changed careers.

i remember Mason on every variety show during the 50s and 60s. There was an infamous incident on the Ed Sullivan Show that nearly destroyed his career. But he became successful on Broadway with his one-man shows.

Rest in peace, Mr. Mason and thank you for the laughs.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.